October Is Fire Safety Month
Oct 9, 2018
Fire Prevention Month was created to spread more awareness about the dangers of house fires and to increase preparedness in case of an emergency. This October, we want to help you and your family become more knowledgeable about the dangers of house fires and learn what you can do to be safe.
Statistics on Fire Safety and Preparedness
These fire safety statistics show why having a plan in place is so important:
- The National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) found that there were 352,000 house fires in 2016.
- Fires claim the lives of about 2,500 people each year.
- More than half of fire-related deaths occur in homes that do not have any smoke detectors in place.
- House fires cause more than $7 billion in damages.
- Less than 50 percent of households in the United States have escape plans in place in the case of a fire or other emergency.
If these statistics worry you, don't panic. There are ways to prepare yourself and your family so you know how to safely respond to a fire or other type of emergency in your home.
Fire Prevention Tips
What can you do at home to be better prepared for a fire emergency? Follow these tips:
- Draw pictures: Draw an escape route from each room and place a copy of it in the specified space. That way, you, your family and any visitors will know exactly how to safely and quickly leave in case of an emergency.
- Pick a meetup: Getting outside isn't the only step. Choose a location that is a safe distance away for everyone to gather. It can be a neighbor's mailbox, notable tree or any easily located spot.
- Practice: After you've created your plan, go through it several times. Practice evacuating from different parts of your home. The more you practice, the less likely you are to be panicked if a real emergency happens.
Practicing proactive home fire safety is key in keeping your family safe from harm.
Importance of Fire Protection
There are so many benefits to following these and other tips for fire prevention. Keeping the escape plan and having a fire protection system
in place in your home can save lives, prevent more serious damage and give you greater peace of mind. Why wouldn't you do everything in your power to prevent a fire from occurring in your home — not only during fire safety month, but all year?
Contact Certified Fire And Security Today
Certified Fire And Security in St. George and Salt Lake City offers full-service fire protection. From installation to maintenance
, we will be there to make sure your system is doing the work it should. We can design the right system for your home, install it and then complete routine checks to ensure it is working properly.
We have several different systems available, giving you a wide range of protection. No matter what your needs are, we will help you select the best system. To learn more about our fire alarm protection services
, please contact us
Creating an Escape Plan for Fires
Benefits of Having a Carbon Monoxide Detector
Home Fire Protection Services in Utah